The first Catholics in Greenfield celebrated Mass in their homes prior to 1860 when Mass was celebrated in a building on North Street which was sold and removed to the south side of Greenfield to become the Mission Church. By 1879 the church was organized and became known as St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church under the control of the Franciscan Fathers of Sacred Heart in Indianapolis.
In the early part of 1897 a Building Committee was appointed and plans drawn for a new brick church which was completed with the first Mass on February 27, 1898. A special train brought Catholics from Indianapolis to attend. That building still stands on North Street today.
In the early 1900’s Mass was celebrated twice a month on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. As the roads improved, Mass was celebrated every Sunday after which a parishioner would drive the priest to St. Thomas in Fortville for Mass there.
In 1934 Fr. John Riedinger was sent as our first resident pastor. The home next to the church was purchased as a rectory. Father John also cared for St. Thomas in Fortville. By 1947 when Fr. Dennis Spalding was pastor, the parish had grown to 95 families.
By 1952 the parish had outgrown the church and plans were drawn up for a new church and school combined. After much deliberation, a site consisting of 10.5 acres on the northwest edge of Greenfield was chosen. At the time it was just a cornfield with a few homes south of it. The new stone building was dedicated in the spring of 1954 and the first Mass was celebrated on Thanksgiving of that year. The two story building had three classrooms, Father’s office and restrooms on the top floor and the Chapel and cafeteria in the basement. Enrollment in the school was 95 students. By 1963 the cafeteria was converted into a classroom and the parish had increased to 179 families. The three Sunday Masses were crowded.
Two houses across the street were purchased for use as a rectory and convent for the Sisters of Providence, who were to teach in the school.
In 1965 Fr. Daniel Nolan and the Finance Committee decided to build a new church which was financed by the regular Sunday collections. The parish consisted of 234 families with 189 children in the school (grades 1 through 8). The new church was dedicated in the spring of 1966 and the first Mass was on June 26, 1966.
In 1978 the parish Activity Center was built. This building held many parish and school functions and now contains the school’s Technology Lab and 3 classrooms.
The current Parish Offices were built in 1982 and contain space for the Pastor, Business Manager, Bookkeeper, Youth & Family Ministries Coordinator, and Secretary.
In 2001, the old rectory was sold and a new one built on the property with facilities to house two priests.
The school building has 8 classrooms and portable classroom buildings currently house 4 grades.
Our Parish Life Center consists of 2 meeting rooms, a kitchen and a gymnasium.
In 2004 a pole barn was added to our facilities for storage.
In 2005 we received a generous donation of the 4 acres adjacent to our property on the north end. Plans are for a soccer field, track, concession stand and restrooms.
In January 2006 a new St. Michael stained glass window in church was dedicated by Archabbot Lambert Reilly, O.S.B. The window was designed by Fox Studios in Indianapolis.
Fr. Severin Messick, O.S.B. was our longest serving Pastor from January 1998 until his passing on September 28, 2011. Fr. Severin was a monk for 30 plus years and a priest for more 25 years. He previously served in the dioceses of Owensboro, Kentucky and Evansville, Indiana.
Msgr. William Stumpf has been our Pastor since November 2011. He has served in various positions within the Archdiocese of Indianapolis along with serving as Pastor of various parishes in the diocese. Msgr. Stumpf has was ordained a priest on June 1, 1985.